2020-03-13: This site is going to be decommissioned and shut down very soon. Please copy and archive any data you wish to keep ASAP
If you were registered and logged in, you could join this project.
To enable Symbian OS development on Mac OS X using the Xcode IDE.
The scope is to provide as much IDE integration for the Symbian OS tool chain as possible. This includes:
- Supporting multiple SDKs (UIQ, S60, Series 80, etc)
- Anything you can do to a Symbian OS project from the command line on a PC should be possible on OS X, without needing to go to a command line unless you want to.
- Project and file templates to make development feel more like a 'normal' (ie native) Xcode project.
Status so far
I'm about to release a version of the plugin that achieves a lot of what I set out to do (You can see the preview of it here). Now I'm looking to open up the project to a wider audience, and to collaborate with other related projects (such as gnupoc) which aim to make developing for Symbian OS easier.
- The actual Xcode plugin is written in Cocoa Objective-C, some of the supporting tools are perl.
- Our target audience is Symbian OS developers who want to use OS X instead of Windows to develop their products.
- We are targetting Xcode 2.2 on OS X 10.4, and whereever possible the project should be SDK-agnostic.
- The plugin focusses on supporting target builds only. In other words we're not trying to replace WINS/WINSCW, produce an emulator or port Symbian OS to OS X.
- The end-user should be able to start using this plugin without having to download any supporting tools (or even worse, compiling any part of the tools themselves). Wherever possible, they shouldn't have to modify their (windows-developed) projects to work on OS X.
- SymbianOS.org publish the command line build tools that the plugin uses.
- Gnupoc have a build system for UNIX that uses gnumake. However they don't have integration with Xcode. Both projects use the same underlying tools so both can benefit from improvements to those tools.